0370 270 6000

already registered?

Please sign in with your existing account details.

need to register?

Register to access exclusive content, sign up to receive our updates and personalise your experience on brownejacobson.com.

Privacy statement - Terms and conditions

Forgotten your password?

school land and buildings

Our dedicated education property team provides an integrated service covering all areas of property and property related transactions within the education sector, including the requirement for Secretary of State’s consent (and the implications of the terms of Academies’ Funding Agreements) and that of the local authority.

We have a well-earned reputation for clear and straightforward advice, a commercial focus and for finding practical solutions to issues that arise. By understanding the legislative framework, local government policy, the political dimension and current issues surrounding the work of our education clients, we are able to provide comprehensive support.

what we do...

  • Land transactions - Secretary of State consent requirements; acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold, including playing fields, local authority consent requirements, and Charities Act requirements.
  • Leases and land transfers - on academy conversions, academy transfers / rebrokerage, free school projects, conversion to foundation status and general education sector property matters such as leases (including nurseries and children’s centres), underleases, licences.
  • Boundaries, rights of way and easements - rights over school land, public rights of way, and diverting and closing exiting rights of way.
  • Shared use agreements - income generation from collaborations with sports providers, telecoms and energy companies.
  • Development projects - such as development agreements for the construction of new school sites and the associated agreement for lease, novation of build contract and provision of warranties, as well as agreements for the disposal and development of school land.
  • Planning and construction - obtaining planning permission, extending and constructing new buildings, and obligations relating to listed buildings.
  • Environmental issues - requirements and improving energy efficiency.
  • Public/private land requirements - including the need for landlord’s and/or Secretary of State’s consent.
  • Property portfolios - consolidation into various group structures.

recent experience

what our clients say....

what the directories say...