0370 270 6000

FAQs - a single academy joining an existing MAT

31 August 2016
This FAQ is designed for a single academy wanting to join an existing multi academy trust.

If you are looking to convert a single academy trust into a multi academy trust, please click here.

If you are a maintained school looking to convert to academy status and form or join a multi academy trust, please click here.

If you are looking to become an academy sponsor, please click here.

If you are becoming a sponsored academy, please click here.

1. Why would a single academy want to join an existing multi academy trust (MAT)? 

There are a number of reasons why a single (sometimes called a ‘stand-alone’) academy may want to join an existing multi academy trust (MAT), for example: 
  • being part of a MAT may give the academy school access to better resources or support
  • the academy school may work very closely with other schools in the MAT and joining the MAT would be the natural next step
  • the single academy may not feel it has the capacity to continue as a single academy
  • the single academy may be required to become a sponsored academy school.
2. Do we need to get permission to join an existing MAT? 

Existing academies looking to join an existing MAT will need to have the consent of the Secretary of State for Education via the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and/or the Regional Schools Commissioner (RSC).

This is now done by the MAT (rather than the single academy) completing an application form which can be found here.

3. Do we need to consult on our proposals? 

There is no requirement for the MAT or the single academy to consult generally with stakeholders. However, it is considered good practice for academy trusts to inform parents, staff and other key stakeholders about the proposals and give them the opportunity to respond.

Staff will need to be formally informed/consulted about the transfer of their employment under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (‘TUPE’).

4. What is the process for joining an existing MAT? 

The business of running the academy school will transfer from the single academy trust to the MAT. The following steps therefore need to be taken:
  • the single academy trust, MAT and the Secretary of State will enter into a deed of novation and variation, which will transfer the responsibility for complying with the existing funding agreement to the MAT and vary the existing single funding agreement to a MAT supplemental funding agreement
  • the employment of the staff of the academy school will transfer from the single academy trust to the MAT in accordance with the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (‘TUPE’)
  • the assets and contracts of the academy school will be transferred from the single academy trust to the MAT under a commercial transfer agreement (it may sometimes be necessary for the local authority to be a party to this agreement)
  • the MAT will need to be given use of the academy school land and buildings, usually either by way of a 125 year lease with the local authority or the transfer of the freehold of the land, as applicable.
Once the conversion has taken place, the single academy trust company can be wound up. 

5. Will our trustees’ roles change when we join a MAT? 

When the school initially converted to a single academy trust, it is likely that all the existing governors of the maintained school became the trustees of the academy trust. In an academy, these trustees have three names: 
  • they are directors because the academy trust is a company
  • they are trustees because the academy trust is a charity (albeit one that is exempt from registering with the Charity Commission)
  • they are governors because the academy trust is responsible for running the school(s).
For the purposes of this document, we refer to them as ‘trustees’. 

When the academy joins the MAT, it is usual for there to be three tiers of governance rather than two. These three tiers will be: 
  • members of the MAT
  • board of trustees of the MAT (the Board)
  • local governing bodies (LGBs) for each academy school.
You will need to discuss with the MAT whether any of your trustees will sit on the Board and therefore continue to be trustees. However, it is likely that the majority of your existing trustees will not be trustees of the MAT and will sit on the LGB for the academy school.

6. What is a local governing body? 

Within a MAT, each academy school will usually have its own local governing body (LGB). These have a similar status to committees of a maintained governing body and the only powers they have are those that are delegated to them by the Board. This is normally formalised into a scheme of delegation. Whilst individuals serving on an LGB may also be trustees of the MAT, retaining some distinction between the layers is important to ensure effective oversight and challenge. It is common for individuals serving on an LGB to be referred to a ‘governors’, although technically the governors of an academy trust are the trustees.

Whilst the LGBs will usually have delegated authority to run the academy school, the Board will be ultimately responsible for all academies it runs. 

Focus on...

Legal updates

School Uniform – a high street takeover?

What schools need to know about the DfE guidance which requires school uniforms to be affordable for all.


Legal updates

Looking ahead to exam challenges in summer 2022

How schools and colleges can make sure that all teaching staff understand and are implementing the government guidance for summer 2022 exams.


Legal updates

Recovering School Fees? Don’t forget about the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims

Schools will need to comply with the requirements of the PAPDC or potentially face financial consequences. This article provides an overview of the PAPDC and explains how it applies to schools.


Legal updates

Responding to the impact of TikTok on your school community

Attacks by students on their teachers and their schools through the medium of TikTok is causing considerable distress and anger for teachers and leaders. Is there anything that can be done legally?