Corporate and commercial services for insurance
Building on the firm’s deep expertise in insurance, our corporate insurance team delivers technically sound, pragmatic advice on corporate and commercial matters to a wide range of clients operating in the insurance sector.
We help our clients implement their strategies and grow their businesses. In order to do so, we bring together specialists from across the firm, including specialists in corporate, commercial, tax and regulatory areas, who work together to ensure that our advice provides a seamless solution to our clients’ requirements.
Operating from our six offices across the UK and Ireland, our seven partner team advises our insurance sector clients including Lloyds and non-Lloyds insurers, re-insurers, insurance brokers and MGAs.
What we do
- Regulatory issues – including advice on authorisations, the scope of permissions and the impact of Solvency II.
- Commercial contracts - including agency agreements, aggregator and other distribution agreements, delegated authority and outsourcing agreements.
- Corporate finance – we regularly advise on raising capital, restructuring, acquisitions and disposals.
- Tax – including the availability of exemptions from VAT.
- Data protection and information security - we advise on policies and procedures for the protection of sensitive and confidential data.
- Schemes - we advise on product development, policy wording, client communications and terms of business.
- Employment - we advise on all aspects of employment law, including enforcement of post termination restrictions.
Insure The Box
We acted for the founders of Insure The Box on the sale of a 75% interest to Aioi Nissay Dowa, a leading Japanese insurance group for £104.5m.
Leading insurance broker association
We advised a leading insurance broker association on the availability of the insurance intermediary exemption from VAT.
A leading insurer
We regularly act for a leading insurer in relation to delegated authority agreements and binding authority agreements with third parties, in both specialist and non-specialist areas.
Terms of agreements with aggregator websites
We regularly advise on the terms of agreements with aggregator websites, including the data protection aspects of such agreements, and have recently advised on agreements with confused.com, comparethemarket.com, moneysupermarket.com and uSwitch.com.