+44 (0)115 934 2038
Katherine specialises in defending employers’ liability and public liability personal injury claims for a variety of clients as well as claims arising from exposure to asbestos in the workplace.
Katherine has a particular interest in claims against education establishments, and she is familiar with the specific issues arising from claims involving SEND provision, disciplinary measures, violent incidents and discrimination. She also advises educational establishments before claims are received to limit their exposure to claims.
Negotiated significant saving
A teacher alleged she suffered a brain haemorrhage at work. A neurosurgeon's report was obtained which cast doubt upon causation of the injury. An early Part 36 offer was accepted resulting in a six-figure saving, restricting the claimant to fixed costs incurred prior to expiry of the offer and the defendant recovered disbursements incurred after expiry of the offer. A CRU appeal resulted in a refund of over £34,000.
Successfully defended a multi-track claim against a school arising from an accident involving a pupil who severed a finger while climbing the school gate and secured a discontinuance in a similar subsequent case.
Complex high value claim
Representing a local authority in a multi-party high value PL claim with potential to set a precedent in respect of PFI contracts. Settled at a JSM with the facilities management company accepting 70% liability and the local authority accepting the remaining 30%. Costs were recovered from the facilities management company.
Advising following school pupil’s suicide
Advising an academy following the suicide of a former student in relation to the inquest, a formal complaint by the family and a civil claim for damages. The civil claim was ultimately struck out with an order for the claimant to pay the academy's costs.
You may be interested in...
Press Release - #BeingBrowneJacobson
Becoming O Shaped: Championing positive change
Assaults on school staff - how can schools mitigate the risk
In this article we set out the most common issues we encounter, along with guidance on assessing and mitigating the risk from assaults.