0370 270 6000

already registered?

Please sign in with your existing account details.

need to register?

Register to access exclusive content, sign up to receive our updates and personalise your experience on brownejacobson.com.

Privacy statement - Terms and conditions

can’t see the wood for the trees? Consultation launched on selling off England’s public forests

28 January 2011

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman believes our woodlands can be ‘protected’ by selling off forests. She is backed by her Government who is expediting a change in legislation to ensure she has the power to transfer ownership out of Government hands.

The Government has already committed to taking 15% of the public forest estate out of state control over the course of this parliament (the largest amount allowable without new legislation); this consultation invites views on management options for the remaining 85% – with a view to generating £470m.

Is the justification that this revenue will better allow the Forestry Commission to focus on its role of responding to outbreaks of tree pests and diseases, regulating felling and (ironically) setting standards for sustainable forest management really going to wash with a public who is, in the vast majority, against the proposal?

A further justification is that the commission will no longer be the largest commercial operator in the sector it also regulates.

It seems the only value this proposal is currently looking to increase is purely financial.

related opinions

Retail woes extending beyond the property sector and into financial markets

Some commentators had anticipated that persisting retail sector challenges might disrupt more than the make-up of the high street or commercial property negotiations between landlords and tenants.

View blog

Does TUPE work for workers?

An Employment Tribunal has considered the definition of “employee” under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 and concluded that this definition is wide enough to cover those who would be more usually described within the UK as workers.

View blog

Staff Shortages in the NHS

Staff shortages within the NHS are well publicised, with recent press reports once again highlighting the additional impact of the NHS pensions “tax trap” on frontline care, and the uncertainty over Brexit implications for current and potential future employees.

View blog

General election 2019 - implications for schools

Parliament has announced that a general election will take place in the UK on Thursday 12 December 2019. Schools are popular places for polling stations and whilst some larger schools are able to continue to operate on election day, many smaller schools are forced to close.

View blog

Richard Barlow

Richard Barlow

Partner and Head of Government Sector

View profile

mailing list sign up



Select which mailings you would like to receive from us.

Sign up