0370 270 6000

already registered?

Please sign in with your existing account details.

need to register?

Register to access exclusive content, sign up to receive our updates and personalise your experience on brownejacobson.com.

Privacy statement - Terms and conditions

act before the end of this month or lose VAT recovery

12 March 2009

Some years ago, the government reduced the time limit for claiming back overpaid VAT from six years to three years. This had a retrospective as well as a prospective effect, applying to claims brought in relation to accounting periods before, and after, the introduction of the legislation. There were, however, no transitional provisions for claims which had already accrued when the new rules came into force. In July 2002, the European Court of Justice decided that, without these provisions, it was against European law to apply the three year time limits retrospectively.

The Government estimated that this could cost it more than £1 billion, so HM Revenue & Customs attempted to remedy the position by introducing a non-statutory transitional regime. However, in January 2008, the House of Lords ruled this did not work, because it did not exist when the new rules were first introduced. As a result, the retrospective application of the three year time limit remained unlawful, and could not apply to claims which had already accrued, until an adequate transitional period had been provided.

Such a transitional period was introduced by the Finance Act 2008, but this expires at the end of this month.

This means that any outstanding claims to recover either of the below, will be statute barred if not filed by 31 March 2009:

  • Output tax overpaid or over-declared in accounting periods ending before 4 December 1996
  • Unclaimed or under-claimed input tax from accounting periods ending before 1 May 1997

Claims relating to accounting periods ending on or after those dates remain subject to the three year limit.

Claims for the recovery of overpaid VAT could be made on a variety of grounds and, in theory, could go back as far as 1 April 1973 (when VAT was introduced into the UK). However, of course, there may be practical difficulties in proving such old claims, for example, if the relevant accounting records no longer exist.

If you believe to have outstanding VAT claims from accounting periods between 1973 and 1996/7, we recommend you contact your accountant, or our experienced tax department without delay!

focus on...

Legal updates

Government extends tenant protections and introduces new code of practice

On 19 June 2020, the Government announced that it was extending the various tenant protections it has brought in over the last few months and, at the same time, published a new voluntary code of practice to provide clarity for businesses when discussing rental payments and to encourage best practice so that all parties are supported.


Legal updates

A landlord’s remedies to recover arrears of rent – where are we now?

The Corporate Governance and Insolvency Bill provides detail on the new measures to safeguard the high street against aggressive debt recovery actions during coronavirus.


Legal updates

New measures announced to protect the High Street from aggressive rent collection and closure

In a move that will be greatly welcomed by retailers, the Government announced on 23 April that it will introduce new measures to safeguard the High Street against aggressive debt recovery actions during the coronavirus pandemic.


Legal updates

Getting through lockdown – your real estate questions answered

Find out more about the confusion around the Government’s support measures for business tenants and what to do if you have a break right during lock down.


The content on this page is provided for the purposes of general interest and information. It contains only brief summaries of aspects of the subject matter and does not provide comprehensive statements of the law. It does not constitute legal advice and does not provide a substitute for it.

mailing list sign up

Select which mailings you would like to receive from us.

Sign up