0370 270 6000

Three Peaks challenge - Snowdon training walk

19 May 2011

As a trainee solicitor you don’t just spend time thinking about legal work, you also spend time thinking about how you can give back and make an impact outside of work. All the trainees decided that we should do something big for a charity, so we decided to raise money for Browne Jacobson’s charity of the year Home Start Nottingham. We thought it would be a good idea to attempt something challenging that would put us all through out paces. We chose to do the Three Peaks Challenge, which involves climbing Ben Nevis (tallest mountain in Scotland), Scafell Pike (tallest mountain in England) and Snowdon (tallest mountain in Wales) all in 24 hours.

As you can imagine, this is not a task to undertake lightly and so we planned a number of training walks. Last Saturday we walked our final training walk before the actual challenge. Friday night, straight after work we ate, went shopping for the walk and then headed down to Wales ready to walk Snowdon on Saturday. We arrived tired but in good spirits at our surprisingly nice hostel at 10:30pm. There was just enough time for one quick pint before an early bed time, as we had to be up at 7am ready to head to Snowdon.

7am Saturday morning arrived far too quickly for my liking and it was time to get up, pack, and get ready for the day’s walking. Looking out the window I have to admit my spirits were slightly dampened as I saw dark clouds and rain overhead. Thankfully the ever motivating Laura Richards picked up my spirits by joking around as we made a quick, hearty bacon sandwich breakfast.

We arrived at the base of Snowdon at 9:30am, loaded up and ready to go. As we set off I started a timer on my phone, as we were aiming to do the walk in time with the Three Peaks timings; 2 hours up and 2 hours down. As we walked the scenery was beautiful, we were surrounded by grassy, rocky verges, shimmering lakes and foggy mountaintops. We all walked at a good pace and broke through the mist to the ridge to the peak in under two hours. We made it to the top of the peak in 2 hours and 1 minute and quickly started our decent, as the wind was vicious and bracing.

As we worked our way down the mountain we were all in good spirits having made it to the top in just over our target time. Unfortunately then it began…the heavens opened and it started to rain. Macs and coats quickly came out and everyone wrapped up to stop the onslaught of the rain, which made our decent that little bit more risky. Thankfully it didn’t last long and the sun once more broke through to warm us all up.

The end was in sight, we were on time, everything was working out….but for some reason, tired as we all were, we all thought it would be a good idea to sprint the last 100m or so. Legs buckling, we sprinted to the finish line completing the whole walk in 3 hours and 54 minutes.

Lets just hope it goes that well on 3rd and 4th June when we do the real thing.

If you would like to sponsor us for taking on this brutal challenge please click on the link